To be honest, I don't have one in my classroom at the moment BUT I plan on creating one for this coming school year. Here are my reasons why with a few DIY photos and links.
1. It's an incentive to put their phones away!
Lets be real, if someone gave you the option to put your phone away or to charge it, we all know you'd choose to charge it. It's a win-win scenario. You get them to stop using it for a while and they get to recharge so they can snapchat their friends do spinner tricks during lunch.
2. They'll think you care about them.
Of course you should care about them, but if you struggle with that, perception is reality. Just ask any teenager and their phone is their WORLD. Offering to help them with the one thing they care so much about, lets them think you care about them and their well-being. Yes, I know this sounds crazy, but trust me on this one.
3. They'll look forward to going to your class.
They already know they get to charge their phone when they're with you so they're hyped about coming in. Eventually it'll become second nature to just walk in and go straight to the charging station.
4. It doesn't cost very much.
You've got options depending on how Pinterest-y or DIY- friendly you are. You can either make one or you can buy one. If you buy one, the price depends on how many phones you'd like to charge at once and how fancy you want the charging device to be.
- Set expectations right away! Examples:
- You can retrieve your phone at the end of class.
- Use your own cables and boxes.
- Only your phone should be in your hands.
- The teacher is not responsible for anything that happens to the phone
- Make it fancy! It'll seem like an honor to charge their phone in your room.
- If it doesn't work out for your students, don't use it anymore.
- Share the idea with teacher-friends. Consistent expectations throughout the school help out.